World Sleep Day
Tuesday, 10 March 2020 | Best Beds Direct
Fun facts about sleep this World Sleep Day - 13 March
We love sleep. There is nothing quite like ending the day with a nice, hot shower, soft pyjamas, slipping under a luxury duvet onto a sumptuous, quality mattress and turning the lights out. This is no surprise, given that sleep:
- Lowers stress levels
- Reduces the risk of disease
- Improves brain function and performance
- Puts us in a better mood; and
- Improves our immune system
The amount of sleep humans need ranges from a whopping 14-17 hours for newborns, to a more realistic 7-9 hours for adults. You may already know this. Especially if you’re a regular Best Beds Direct blog-reader!
But, did you know that:
- 12% of people dream in entirely black and white
- Humans spend a third of their lives sleeping
- The record for the longest time spent without sleep is 11 days
- Finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning has a name… dysania
- Up to 15% of the population are sleepwalkers
- 1 in 4 married couples sleep in separate beds
- We forget 50% of our dream within 5 minutes of waking up
- 41% of the British population sleep in the foetal position
- Sleep experts have found a direct link between people’s favourite sleeping positions and their personalities
- People who are born blind have dreams which involve things such as emotion, sound and smell, rather than sight
We found all that out whilst hiding from Storm Jorge last weekend.
In celebration of World Sleep Day this month, we’ve pulled together a reminder of five top tips to help you sleep better and feel better:
- Have regular routines – consistent sleep times can aid long-term sleep quality
- Get physical – just don’t work out too close to bedtime, as it can have a stimulating effect
- Get comfy – a relaxing environment, quality mattress and luxury bedding can make all the difference
- Prepare your body and mind – by turning off screens, reducing caffeine and alcohol intake, and avoiding eating too hours before bedtime
- Have a soak – a nice bath or shower can help relax you and improve your sleep
And remember, if you’re not waking up feeling rested, or you’ve unexplained aches and pains in your back, you may need a new mattress. Quality mattresses are designed to last 8-10 years max – and it’s a fact that dirt-cheap mattresses are often useless within 12 months. So, this World Sleep Day, ask yourself:
- When did I get this mattress?
- Was it bought new, or used?
- How much did I spend on it?
You may well realise that it is about time your mattress was replaced… and, having found our superb website www.bestbedsdirect.co.uk, you won’t be surprised to hear that we have carefully selected a huge variety of quality mattresses for you!
We stock a number of mattresses with different comfort options and a range of diverse fillings, for all budgets – from renowned UK manufacturers such as Mlily, Healthopaedic and Vogue.
So, don’t delay – check out our mattresses today!
And as always, if you need any help, be sure to contact our team who are ready and waiting to help you find your dream bed.